Update: 4/23 – Congratulations we have a winner!
Doug G. won this giveaway and we’ll be contacting you shortly to work out the details. Thanks to everyone who participated, and make sure to check back on our site or @vpnuniversity for upcoming giveaways.
Lots of VPN providers offer quality mobile/desktop apps, but my personal preference is to connect your entire router to the VPN, thus protecting your entire network 24/7. All you need is a VPN-capable router and our easy setup tutorial.
But if the $150-300 price range of these high-end routers is a dealbreaker, today is your lucky day!
We’re giving away a brand new ASUS AC-68U (our favorite router). And if you like, we’ll install the custom Merlin firmware on it and configure it for your favorite VPN service.
If you’re not based in the USA, you’ll get a $150 Amazon gift card, and you can buy the router yourself (or something equally awesome).
Here’s a video review of why the RT-AC68U rules:
The contest starts at midnight EST on April 14 (12 am) and ends midnight on the 22nd (technically 12am on the 23rd). Entry is free, and you can earn extra entries every day by tweeting about the giveaway.
Grand Prize: 1 ASUS AC68U Router. You can choose either…
- A factory-sealed stock router (w/ factory warranty), direct from an authorized retailer.
- A custom-configured router, with 3rd-party ASUSWRT-Merlin firmware installed by us, and configured for use as a VPN-enabled router.
Alternate Prize (for Non-USA residents):
- $150 Amazon gift card
Because of the cost and hassle of shipping internationally, non-US residents will win a $150 Amazon.com gift code (delivered via email). Eligible grand prize winners can choose this option instead of the official grand prize if they want.
Custom Setup Option:
If you choose the custom setup, we will take a brand new AC68U router, install the 3rd-party Merlin firmware on it, setup a different subnet so you can chain it to your primary router, allowing you to switch any device on your network to use the VPN or normal internet, just by switching wireless networks.
We’ll also do our best to setup the VPN client to connect to whatever VPN service you use, though we’ll only be able to test the setup with VPNs we have an active subscription to (including most of the popular ones like Private Internet Access, IPVanish, ExpressVPN, NordVPN and VyprVPN).
Anyone can enter (it’s free) but only US residents are eligible for the grand prize. All other locations will win the alternate prize.
How to Enter:
We used RaffleCopter for this giveaway. It allows you to earn multiple entries. Here’s the ways to earn entries:
- +4 entries: follow @vpnuniversity on Twitter (required for entry)
- +3 entries: Tweet about the giveaway (can earn once per day)
- +4 entries: Leave a comment on this post, about why you want/use a VPN (once)
The contest winner will be announced within 24-hours of the end of the contest. Check back on this page for updates.
ASUSWRT Merlin Firmware
For those that aren’t familiar with ASUSWRT-Merlin, it’s an awesome, free modified version of the stock ASUSWRT firmware. In terms of features it’s very similar to the Tomato ‘Shibby’ firmware that can be flashed onto most ASUS routers (though not as easily as Merlin).
While stock ASUSWRT is pretty awesome, the Merlin build adds a number of features, including:
- More detailed control over VPN client configs and encryption settings
- VPN Kill-switch function: stop the internet if the VPN connection fails
- Selective Routing: route specific IP’s or devices through the VPN
- Entware: Run custom scripts on your router (advanced users)
- Tor Support: Connect to the internet through the Tor anonymous network
For full details of what ASUSWRT-Merlin is capable of, checkout the official site.