Here are all the sections of our VyprVPN review, feel free to skip ahead!
- Overview (Specs/Servers/Discount Offers)
- Software and Features
- Privacy & Logging Policy
- Speed Tests
- OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP, Chamelon (Stealth) VPN Protocols
- 256-bit Encryption
- Servers in 49+ Countries
- Windows, Mac, iPhone, Android software
- Easy to use VPN Software
- Very Fast Speeds
- Stealth Mode
- Torrents allowed
- DNS Leak Protection
- Kill-Switch Built-in
VyprVPN Server Locations
- Toronto (Canada)
- Seattle, WA (USA)
- Chicago, IL (USA)
- New York, NY (USA)
- San Fransisco, CA (USA)
- Los Angeles, CA (USA)
- Austin, TX (USA)
- Miami, FL (USA)
- Washington DC (USA)
- Czech Republic
- + Many more…
- Hong Kong
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- and More….
VyprVPN Software + Features
VyprVPN’s security feature list is pretty impressive. Each version of the software released over the past couple years has come with upgrades, improvements, and new security features (often in direct response to users’ most requested features). VyprVPN belongs in a select list of elite VPNs when it comes to security.
VyprVPN Includes the 3 most common VPN protocols (OpenVPN, PPTP, and L2TP/IPSEC). They also add their own proprietary ‘Stealth’ VPN technology known as Chameleon. (More info below).
Chameleon is a ‘Stealth’ VPN technology exclusive to VyprVPN. It’s purpose is to make traffic encrypted with the Chameleon protocol to appear to be regular SSL (non-VPN) traffic instead of encrypted VPN Data. They do this by removing all identifying headers from the VPN data packets, and then wrapping the data packets in an additional layer of SSL Encryption.
Chameleon technology allows users to circumvent firewalls and other hardware/software designed to identify or block VPN traffic. It is perfect for college students (university firewall) or people from countries like China, Iran, and Turkey where internet censorship is widespread.
Chameleon uses military-grade 256-bit encryption.
VyprVPN provides users with encryption strengths as high as 256-bit (OpenVPN, L2TP, or Chameleon).
Note: 256-bit encryption is considered to be unbreakable by brute-force attacks, and is the same encryption strength used by the U.S. Military for top-secret communications.
VyprDNS (Zero-logging DNS Server)
VyprVPN created their own, private DNS server to process all dns lookups on their VPN network. Your browser makes a DNS lookup every time you type a web address into your browser. The DNS server translates the domain name into a numerical internet address (IP address).
VyprDNS is a true non-logging, anonymous DNS server. They do not keep any records of DNS requests you make, so their are no records of websites you visit while connected to VyprVPN.
VyprDNS vs Other VPN’s
Most VPN providers don’t have their own DNS servers. Instead, the route to a 3rd-party DNS server like OpenDNS (not secure or anonymous). As a result, your web browsing history, and potentially even your IP address could be visible to that DNS server. Most regular DNS servers also keep activity logs for months at a time (a huge security leak).
VyprDNS is a huge step forward in keeping your browsing history private. Click to learn more about VyprDNS.
VyprVPN Logging Policy
VyprVPN does not log online activity or websites you visit. They do, however, keep temporary connection logs for troubleshooting purposes. To learn more about connection logs, click here.
VyprVPN keeps temporary connection logs. As such, they are not a TRUE non-logging VPN provider. VyprVPN is still great for most VPN uses, we just don’t think they’re a great choice for frequent torrent downloaders.
As mentioned earlier, their VyprDNS private DNS service does not keep any logs whatsoever, so there will be no records of your DNS lookups or websites visited on their servers. Also because VyprVPN utilizes ‘shared IP addresses’ (multiple users on a single IP) it should still be theoretically impossible to identify a single users’ internet activity based on his IP address.
VyprVPN Speed / Speed Tests
VyprVPN really impressed us with the speed of their network for two reasons.
- They operate on a tier-1 data network (delivering the fastest possible speeds)
- They use their own data servers (instead of renting servers) so you get optimal network configurations and maximum data security.
We did extensive speed testing of VyprVPN and here are the results (below). For reference, our testing connection is a 50mbps broadband connection located in the USA.
VyprVPN USA Speed Tests
VyprVPN performed impressively, delivering 80-105% of maximum bandwidth for USA based server locations (again, we tested from a USA location so speeds should be higher from nearby servers). We also got a ‘A-‘ or better speed rating on all tests. Bottom Line: VyprVPN’s USA servers are very fast and have plenty of available bandwidth.
VyperVPN Speed Test (International)
VyprVPN also delivered quite fast speeds on international servers. When testing a server in Australia (halfway around the world) we still got 16mbps and an ‘A-‘ rating. For reference, 16mpbs is still 3x the necessary bandwidth to stream netflix in HD
When testing the Netherlands server location (a location often used for bittorrent/p2p purposes) we got 46mpbs, over 90% of our total connection bandwidth (very good).
VyprVPN Speed Conclusion
VyprVPN delivers speeds well above average on both domestic and international servers. Users with high-bandwidth connections (25mpbs or more) will notice the greatest benefit from using a fast VPN like VyprVPN.
VyprVPN Pricing/ Plans
VyprVPN offers 3 pricing plans, Basic, Pro, and Premier. The offer either monthly or annual subscriptions. We strongly recommend you choose an annual subscription as you can save up to 50% per year by doing so.
This plan costs $9.99/month or $6.67/month (with an annual subscription).
This plan includes extremely basic VPN service. You only get access to PPTP encryption (very lightweight encryption) and no firewall included. PPTP encryption is suspected to have been cracked by the NSA. It is only really suitable for minimum-security VPN uses like unblocking video streaming websites (watching USA netflix from another country).
As a result, we do not recommend this VPN package to anyone. You don’t get much value for your money.
VyprVPN Pro (Best Value)
We think this is the best plan choice for anyone considering VyprVPN. It includes all the same features as the premier plan. The only difference is: the number of simultaneous connections allowed (2) and the amount of DumpTruck could storage space (25GB).
VyprVPN Pro includes all the following features:
- 2 Simultaneous connections
- VyprVPN mobile app (iphone & Android)
- Secure non-logging VyprDNS
- Unlimited bandwidth/Data transfer
- All VPN Protocols: (PPTP, L2TP, OpenVPN, Chameleon)
- 25GB of encrypted ‘Dump Truck’ Storage
Pricing for the ‘Pro’ plan is $14.99/month (billed monthly) or $8.33/month (with a 1-year subscription). If you use this link, you can also save 50% on your first month of service.
The premier plan is almost identical to the ‘pro’ plan. There are only 2 differences:
- You get 3 simultaneous connections instead of 2
- You get 50GB of ‘Dump Truck’ storage instead of 25.
Considering the price difference is nearly $5/month for the upgrade, we don’t think it’s worth it for most users. The ‘Pro’ plan should be perfect for almost everyone.
If you need more than 3 simultaneous connections (to protect all your families’ devices) we recommend trying this VPN provider (they allow 5 simultaneous VPN connections from a single account).
Overall, we think VyprVPN is a really strong choice for certain most types of users. This is especially true if you’re interested in their Encrypted ‘Dump Truck’ Storage which is included free of charge with every plan (the storage capacity varies by plan).
What we like about VyprVPN:
- The Software: VyprVPN has some of the best VPN software of any VPN provider we’ve ever tested. It’s very intuitive and easy to use. We especially like the ‘Favorite Servers’ functionality, and the built-in killswitch and firewall technology.
- The Security: VyprVPN offers encryption strengths up to 256-bit (which is very strong). They also include some really impressive security features including: VPN Kill Switch, NAT Firewall, VyprDNS (non-logging DNS). Their Chameleon ‘stealth’ protocol should also be really useful for users stuck behind a firewall trying to unblock websites.
- ‘Dump Truck’ Encrypted Storage: Vypr is the only VPN provider we know of to offer free encrypted cloud storage. It’s the kind of feature that you don’t realize you need until you have it, and then you can’t live without it.
- The Speed: VyprVPN is fast. Really Fast. They’re definitely in our top 5 fastest VPN providers ever tested.
Things to consider:
- VyprVPN does keep temporary connection logs (but not activity logs) so they may not be the best choice for bittorrent users. For any other VPN usage though, they should be just fine.
Best Uses for VyprVPN
VyprVPN is an excellent choice for nearly all uses. Some examples include:
- Unblock Netflix/Hulu/HboGO/Pandora etc…
- General internet security
- Prevent identity theft on public wifi
- Bypass firewalls
- Block throttling by your ISP